domingo, 22 de outubro de 2023

AveHerald: Palestina laica e multiétnica!


The Guardian 22-10-2023, por Maria Rashed
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/22/palestinian-citizen-israel-without-supporting-hamas
Let’s be clear: one can support Palestinians’ right to resist and end the occupation without supporting Hamas


One thing that unites Palestinians is that our journey is never easy or smooth. To be a Palestinian citizen in Israel is exceptionally challenging – especially at the moment, when people expect you to take a clear, one-sided stance. I am forced to constantly question where I truly belong, feeling nowhere and everywhere simultaneously.

I was born and raised in Nazareth in a Christian family. Later, I moved to Tel Aviv, living in a diverse community with Arabs and Jews. Although I was born in Israel, I struggle to identify fully with a country that views me as a second-class citizen, publicly speaks against Arabs, oppresses Palestinians – and the list goes on.

I do not condone violence in the name of religion. I cannot endorse or identify with Hama’a attack on innocent civilians on 7 October. Despite being a proud Palestinian who supports oppressed communities and actively speaks out against Israeli occupation and colonialism, this attack on Israeli civilians does not align with my beliefs – I condemn killing civilians and deeply mourn the loss of lives among Palestinians and Israelis.

Taking a stand as a Palestinian may seem complicated, but Hamas doesn’t speak for me. Hamas fails to represent Palestinians in Gaza, the West Bank, and around the world. 

(..)

Ultimately, the people pay the price from all sides. With rising global support for Israel, I fear for innocent Palestinians. Those in power are to blame. Now is the time for people to unite against oppressive governments. Palestine should be freed not only from the oppressive Israeli regime but also from the influence of Hamas, and its conservative, chauvinistic ideology.

2023-10-22